The Four Disciplines of Execution (4DX) is one of the upcoming Mastery topics. In preparation for the session the management team need to:
- Watch the below video for context
- Agree your Wildly Important Goal (Discipline # 1)
At Mastery we will then educate you further on Disciplines 2 – 4.
Discipline #1 – FOCUS on your Wildly Important Goals
Business owners tend be both ambitious and overly optimistic. These often leads to a large number of goals trying to be pursued simultaneously. The below graphic shows you how your successful execution of goals diminishes with the pursuit of more and more goals.
In deciding the wildly important goal (WIG) you should follow this criteria:
- Begin with verb
- From X to Y by WHEN
- Keep it simple
- Focus on what, not how
- Must be achievable (winnable)
To provoke some thought among the team use these questions:
- Which one area of our team’s performance would we want to improve most
- What are the greatest strengths of the team that can be leveraged
- What are the areas where the team’s poor performance needs to be improved
The following are some real world examples:
Please agree your WIG prior to Mastery and ensure it is in the format of “from X to Y by WHEN”.